Ο Καθεδρικός Ναός του Ουέλλς
Work on Wells Cathedral began in 1180 under Bishop Reginald, but most of the cathedral construction was overseen by Bishop Jocelyn, a local Somerset man with great ambitions for Wells.
The latter oversaw construction of the nave and the monumental west front, which was begun about 1230. At the same time, the busy Bishop Jocelyn was overseeing construction of the Bishop's Palace and a residence at nearby Wookey.
Jocelyn lived to see the church dedicated, but despite much lobbying of Rome, he died before cathedral status was finally granted in 1245. The Chapter House was completed in 1306.
By the time the cathedral was completed, it already seemed too small for the increasing grandness of the liturgy that characterized the period. It was especially important to find more room for the increasingly large ritual processions.
So the early 14th century saw a new spate of construction. Bishop Drokensford started the proceedings by raising the central tower and beginning an eight-sided Lady Chapel at the far east end (finished in 1326). The master mason of this phase was Thomas of Whitney, a man of considerable repute.
The taller tower added considerable weight to the center of the cathedral, a problem which was solved with great ingenuity. Three "scissor arches" were added in 1338 to support the weight. Another famous interior feature, the astronomical clock, was added in 1390.
During cleaning and conservation of the west front in 1974 to 1986, traces of original paint were found on the sculptures.