Remaining Relative visa (subclass 115)

*This visa was previously repealed and closed from 2 June 2014 until 25 September 2014. Applications are now accepted for this visa.


​This visa allows someone outside Australia whose only near relatives are living in Australia to live in Australia as a permanent resident.


You might be eligible for this visa if:

you make your application outside Australia

your (and your partner’s) only near relatives are settled in Australia and are all Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents or eligible New Zealand citizens

one of your near relatives or their partner is prepared to be your sponsor.

you and your family members meet health and character requirements.

The Remaining Relative visa (subclass 115) is a permanent visa for people who want to live in Australia to be with their only near relatives.

Your application must be made outside Australia and you must be outside Australia when the visa is granted.

Who is your near relative

Your near relative is your parent or your partner's parent (including biological and step-parent), brother, sister, stepbrother or stepsister; child (including stepchild) who has turned 18 and is not a dependent child; or child (including stepchild) who has not yet turned 18 years of age and is not in your or your partner's daily care and control.
We do not consider how much contact you have with near relatives when we make a decision about whether you are a remaining relative.

Who is your sponsor
Your sponsor must be your parent, brother, sister, stepbrother or stepsister or one of their partners. They must agree to give you support, accommodation and financial assistance for your first two years of residency in Australia. This agreement includes any family members included as applicants in your application.
Your sponsor must be 18 years of age or older and one of the following:
an Australian citizen
an Australian permanent resident
an eligible New Zealand citizen.
Your sponsor must be settled in Australia

When you might not be eligible for this visa

Do not apply for this visa if:

you or your partner have any near relatives, who are usually living outside Australia, or are only living in Australia on a temporary visa, Bridging visa or unlawfully.
your sponsor (or their partner) was the holder of, or sponsored someone else for, a Remaining Relative visa (subclass 835 or subclass 115), Preferential Family visa (subclass 104) or Family visa (subclass 806).